Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo today received the remains of Kofi Annan former United Nations Secretary- General ahead of September 13th burial.
The mortal remains of Annan who died at the age of 80 in Switzerland landed at Kotoka International Airport, KIA, at 16: 00 GMT the mortal remains was received by Ghana’s president Nana Akufo-Addo at a brief military ceremony. Mr. Annan Mortal remains was wrapped with the UN flag which was taken off upon arriver and replaced with the Ghana flag.
Koffi Annan will be lay to rest on the 13th of September 2018 at the military cemetery and will be given a state burial .
A summary of the events are as follows:
- Body of Kofi Atta Annan arrives on Monday 10 September 2018 at 1600 hours.
- Laying in state for paying of respect by public on Tuesday 11 September 2018
- Laying in state for paying of respect by dignitaries on Wednesday 12 September 2018
- Both events at the foyer of the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) from 1000 to 1600 hours daily.
- Funeral service at the Auditorium of AICC on Thursday 13 September 2018 at 0900 hours.
- This will be preceded by filing past and paying of last respect by VVIPs only from 0730 to 0830 hours.
- Burial is slated for the military cemetery located in the capital, Accra.